Katherine Noyes proves why you should not to switch to Linux.

PC World Linux enthusiast Katherine Noyes goes into desperation mode as she makes her plea to Windows users why they should switch now. I notice there is a clear lack of research sprinkled with a whole lot of white lies about Windows and no intention of correcting them. I tried responding, but I notice my comments are not showing up at all (I wonder why). So I decided to post my response here. I guess that is the beauty of having your own blog. 🙂

1. >> You wake up one day and realize you’re tired of paying for an operating system that’s more bogged down with bugs than most alpha builds are.

I could say the same for Linux, and who wants to install a moving target? Every six months Linux distro’s such as Ubuntu, Fedora release new versions which users have to upgrade to if they want to keep up with supported packages and get user support from the Linux community. Can you run a version of Ubuntu from 2004 and get support today? What about Redhat versions from 2002 or 2001? 

>> What, exactly, are you paying for here?

With Windows, you pay for peace of mind. You are guaranteed that the product will be supported and that there is a healthy community around the product with available software and hardware devices that support it. I know Windows, everybody knows over 1.2 billion Windows users know Windows and can get free or paid support if they want it.

>> Then, of course, there’s also all the antivirus software you have to buy to keep it running.

Malicious code is released for Linux, just that you same Linux users hide that information and because of its small market share, its not much news to anyone but Linux users. As for Antivirus, there is both free and commercial solutions. I personally am running Microsoft Security Essentials, but you also have Free AVG, AVAST! Home. Katherine, don’t be this naive, it makes you look like you don’t have a clue what you are writing about or don’t do any form of research on your articles. 

>> Linux, on the other hand, countless developers around the world are working around the clock to keep the 100 percent free operating system at the head of its class.

Well, they are doing a lousy job, last time I checked, Linux is at 0.85% while Windows 7 is currently at over 300 million users.

2. >> If you find yourself upgrading perfectly good hardware just because resource-hungry Windows demands it, you might be using the wrong operating system.

I am using the same HP Deskjet HP 840c I bought for Windows 2000 Professional on Windows 7, plug it in and the drivers are installed automatically. Same can be said for my HP ScanJet 2400. My Digital camera I purchased in 2006 works with Windows 7, so does my C350 World GPRS Modem I got in 2000. I don’t understand what you mean by resource hungry either, because I am running Windows 7 Professional 32 bit on the same DELL I bought in March of 2004 with Windows XP Home, same specs, I only upgraded the RAM because I use programs like Photoshop and AutoCAD and I have a lot of applications open, but its the same specs, 3.2 GHz HT Northwood, nVidia Geforce FX 5200 128 MB AGP, all the same components working just fine, the no performance issues here.

3. >> You’re Tired of Malware 

I will admit, Windows is a target, but what do you expect with 1.2 billion installations versus Linux with 0.85%. Windows 7 has a lot of built in protections, first of all, you are not the root Administrator since the operating system installs with a Standard Administrator which does not have access to the critical parts of the system that malicious code can infiltrate and cause damage. On top of that, you have technologies such as UAC which prevents unauthorized apps from writing to areas of the system without your permission. ASLR helps to prevent malware from attacking the system because it shifts around key operating system code on boot up to fool malware. Also, you have technologies like Stack Heap Protection, BitLocker Drive Encryption, EFS, Protected Mode in IE, AutoRun is disabled by default, System Restore, Backup and Restore Center with System Imaging along with a good free Antivirus such as MSE and using Automatic Updates which takes care of updating Windows, Office, Windows Live services and even your drivers with a good set of built in File and Permission settings. If you are paranoid even more, you can setup a Limited User Account for extra security.

4. >> You’ve Seen One Too Many Patch Tuesdays

If you have Automatic Updates turned (which it is by default), you don’t have worry your little head off. You are acting like Linux was designed by aliens (probably because its next to impossible understand or use). I guess that’s over a billion users have chosen Windows.

5. >> Who among us doesn’t enjoy spending hours at a time scanning for viruses and spyware and defragmenting?

All of these task are automated, Windows Vista introduced a low priority defragmenter that runs in the background on a single thread to keep your Windows 7 system optimized at all time. As for Scanning for Antivirus, you might have to do those things manually through the command line on Linux, but in Windows its automated and you can setup schedules to do it for you without clicking a mouse.

>> Well, probably all of us don’t enjoy that, actually. Then, too, there’s all that unplanned downtime. Don’t we have other things to do?

Its probably down time for someone like you who spends every winking hour in front of their PC or you are using a 486 DX or you just don’t have a life. Like going out, taking pictures, enjoying time with family friends, having an actual social life. You sound like someone who sits in front of a PC waiting to see the next update come through the Ubuntu Software center. That’s called pathetic.

6. >> If Windows’ boot speed were faster, when would you make your coffee? Right. Sadly, that argument doesn’t quite cut it anymore.

Well, you have a number of options such as Sleep, Hibernate and normal booting. Remember that Windows 7 includes trigger starting of services, so only essential services are loaded on boot up and services can be loaded on demand. So if you are going to watch a movie, connect to a network, Windows will start those services when needed. Overall this provides a optimized system that is fast and efficient and works the way you want to.

7. >> Your business associate in Berlin tried to send you an .ODP file–based on the international standard file format–but PowerPoint wouldn’t read it properly. So much for interoperability.

well, considering that over 750 million individuals use Microsoft Office everyday, sharing is not a problem. On top of that you can use free services such as Skydrive with Office Web Apps to view, edit and collaborate on Word documents, Excel Spreadsheets and PowerPoint Presentations. If you need to share something with the very slow and buggy OpenOffice, you can save Office documents in the .ODF format.

8. >> It’s no accident Internet Explorer’s market share is slipping, and vulnerabilities are a big part of it. Then, too, there’s the monoculture effect making it all worse.

You know, if this was 2005 and it was Internet Explorer 6, I would agree with you. Microsoft has updated its browser and kept pace with the competition. Features like Protected Mode introduced IE 7, InPrivate Mode. Also, with Windows, you can run all of the popular web browsers out there without the need to switch to Linux. On top of that, Windows versions of popular browsers introduce all the top features first, Linux and OS X have to wait months or even years to get certain features. Examples include updated UI, Accelerated graphics that actually utilizes the hardware.

9. >> It’s no longer fun waiting to see when Microsoft will fix bugs, or what new features it will come out with. You’re ready to start driving changes like that yourself.

Oh please, those who care about writing and compiling code would already be running Linux, so you would basically be preaching to the choir. People have important things to do with their life instead of being full time evangelist for an OS.

10. >> Though it can be altered in very small, superficial ways, Windows can’t hold a candle to Linux when it comes to customizability. Are you just another face in the crowd? Of course not, and Linux recognizes that.

You can customize Windows to your hearts content too. In Windows 7, click Start, type: Turn Windows Features on or off, hit Enter.

Uncheck what you don’t need. If you don’t like the interface, right click the desktop and click Personalization or you can download a free utility like StarDock Object Desktop and customize Windows to your liking. Windows 7 is way more culturally aware than Linux or OS X, it includes a vast collection of themes that represent people and their culture and things they like about their culture. It supports a large collection localizations that makes Windows 7 feel like it was made just for them, you can even create your own themes and share them with friends and family.

>> Is Linux perfect? Certainly not. But it is a lot better than Windows in so many ways. Isn’t it time for you to finally make the switch?

I have proven you are wrong, sorry, better luck next time.

Original post here 

12 Comments

Filed under My Articles

12 responses to “Katherine Noyes proves why you should not to switch to Linux.

  1. Sounds like someone couldn’t figure out how to use Ubuntu.

    • BrightLibra

      Probably, Erik. I have several people using Ubuntu because they had far too much Malware on their Windows OS’s. Those Malware infestations were of their own choosing at the time by accepting tool-bars and software “upgrades” that included the Malware. With an OS that was designed from the very start to be used in a networked environment, Linux is way ahead of Windows, but with security comes unfriendliness (or did!). Like taking off your shoes at the airport, give away your own rights to work the security and someone else’s solution may not be friendly.

      I love choice!

  2. Me

    It depends on who the “you” is, but most people should probably stay on windows / mac.

    • True, but 10 seconds is not gonna kill you. At work, most people leave their machines on during the week days, but as you note, it depends on the person.

      • Mark

        10 seconds to do what..? Try Ubuntu? How does that make sense in context of what has been said??? Oh and this is great: “Its probably down time for someone like you who spends every winking hour in front of their PC or you are using a 486 DX or you just don’t have a life. Like going out, taking pictures, enjoying time with family friends, having an actual social life. You sound like someone who sits in front of a PC waiting to see the next update come through the Ubuntu Software center. That’s called pathetic.” That’s called a straw man, you’re attacking someones character not even based on anything real but based on an imaginative characterization you come up with just by reading this persons article. You’ve proven nothing except how worked up YOU are about this. If you’re a tech you should have some basic understanding of logic and fallacies if you’re an educated person. Nobody reading this will take you seriously.

    • BrightLibra

      For the masses, that’s Windows. Used to be that PC’s were not for the masses but for the “nerdy” few who could build one. That’s all gone and now it is time to admit that Windows (and Microsoft the bully) is here to stay. Linux is the choice of those who value their own ability to work with a computer and not have the computer just do what someone else wants it t do for them. I love choice!!

      Do you need help with that dual boot? 😉

  3. Angutivik

    Now I don’t know what distro you talk about here, but KDE is sure more costumizible than Windows and Ubuntu and all the others. You can get a functioning google earth-like thing as the desktop. KDE/Kubuntu might not be the prettiest but it’s sure is awesome.
    I had a bad time using Windows so I switched to Ubuntu, and I don’t regret it. I like it, even if I’m here using Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2 with heck of a lot of bugs, I’m still using it, because I learn how to use Ubuntu more properly.
    IE has sure improved, but it’s still not good enough. Maybe IE11 will be good.
    The security in Windows sucks though. MSE is anti-annoying witch is good, but not good enough (for me).
    Windows 8 with the secure boot: Why the heck? Some people want to use both Linux and Windows, but with secure boot they can’t. I read and article from Microsoft about secure boot.
    Yeah I know this is a long comment, but I just say it’s okay to use what you think is better for you and your needs.

  4. I got to here: who wants to install a moving target? Every six months Linux distro’s such as Ubuntu, Fedora release new versions which users have to upgrade to if they want to keep up with supported packages and get user support from the Linux community then realised you are clearly not a very bright individual !

  5. FichenDich

    Reason #1 moots all the others. Even at $50 each, Win 95, Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8… that’s $350.

    OpenSuSE 1 through the current openSUSE 12.2… that’s $0.00

    Same for Ubuntu, same for… you get the point.

    And BTW, $50 each ? Ha ! More like > $100 !

    $700 vs. free… Gee, guess I’ll go with Windows, not.

  6. Mark

    “Malicious code is released for Linux, just that you same Linux users hide that information and because of its small market share” Just that you same?? It would help to write clearly if you’re going to criticize someone elses writing. I haven’t read the article you’re quoting but it sounds like you are trying to argue with generalizations rather than take it for what it is. Who exactly is “hiding” this? It’s precisely because of the statistics involved that makes it extremely unlikely. In any case, it doesn’t look like your article is worth further reading.

  7. Gavin Flower

    Hmm…

    Linux runs on far more devices than all the O/S variants produced by Microsoft. Linux totally dominates the supercomputer and mobile markets. Probably the desktop market will be the last to resist Linux dominance.

  8. I’d just like to say to the author. You bring up some great points though you’re a little harsh at times. Let the zealots beat themselves up. I agree with a fair amount of your points but there is a lot mixed up in both articles and the comments that doesn’t belong. Saying that Linux has a .85 percent share of the market is only half the story. What market is that? You’ve got two worlds, desktop and server. I don’t think anyone would argue that Linux doesn’t rule the server world, mission critical applications, etc. But in the same light Linux is terrible at being easy and “just getting things done” from a personal perspective. Sure, if you want to server a website to millions of
    people easily and securely, with the right planning and design Linux is King. But lets say I just want to watch a video or more specifically my goals change day to day, the Windows is king. I don’t claim to know why. It’s just that way.

    At 3am it’s easier to hit something to get it working than to have something that you need to know the RFC, 3 dependencies and the remote client specification on how it handles NFS v3.

    Oh and kudos to you for getting enough views to attract voice Linux zealot school of logic but not, post. Logic is only a tool and doesn’t stand on its own. The root cause of these arguements is the belief that somehow the more you understand technology the more “enlightened” you are. Which is disastrously false. Accumulation of knowledge and the greatest scientific techniques ever known without wisdom is self destruction. This is usually inevitable because the more you know the more confident you feel about yourself and the more likely you are to cause your own end.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s